Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Why I draw first.


The first image I drew of Adam looked like a timid, shriveled vulture, especially after seeing it on my blog. The circular ruff accentuated that unfortunate image. I had intended another colorized print in the background but it overwhelmed the sensitive nature of this young man's face. The lighting from my window forms a beautiful arc of light on his forehead and cheek, so I made the figure bigger in the space to focus on that pattern.


I don't know if this story is true, but I read somewhere that when Marilyn Monroe was to make a public appearance, she put on her jewelry and then removed the pieces one by one until she was down to perhaps ear-clips. She preferred the attention was on her, not her jewelry.

Planning a painting is learning how to let go of the inessentials.


No comments: